Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Matthew 25:40

My Primary lesson last week was The Parable of the Sheep and the Goats.  I love teaching Primary!  I learn so much from these lessons.  I was first called to teach in Primary when I was 13.  Back then Primary was on a weekday afternoon.  My first calling was as an assistant teacher, however the teacher I was assisting quit attending part way through the year (at least this is my memory) and I became the regular teacher by default.  The only lesson that I remember teaching was "Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me." (Matthew 25:40)  I remember memorizing the scripture, although I didn't remember that it was part of a parable called the sheep and the goats.  I remember that we made little blue construction paper baskets with colored paper flowers glued to it.  This was to remind us to do something kind for someone.

In the parable the sheep reach out in kindness and service to the hungry, the thirsty, the stranger, the naked, the sick and those in prison.  The Savior calls them "the righteous" and tells them "Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me".  The goats do not reach out in kindness and service to others and are cursed.  I realized when studying these scripture passages (Matthew 25:31-46) that the Savior called the sheep righteous.  He did not however give a label or name to the goats, he merely said that they were cursed.  I appreciated his example of not name calling.  Perhaps I am misunderstanding what is being said, but it was a lesson that I needed to be reminded of.  So don't bother correcting me. :) 

As I ponder this parable to things come to memory that I would like to share.  First is an old email circulated story titled Dart Test.

"A young lady named Sally, relates an experience she had in a seminary class, given by her teacher, Dr. Smith.  She says that Dr. Smith was known for his elaborate object lessons.

One particular day, Sally walked into the seminary and knew they were in for a fun day.  On the wall was a big target and on a nearby table were many darts.  Dr. Smith told the students to draw a picture of someone that they disliked or someone who had made them angry, and he would allow them to throw darts at the person's picture.

Sally's friend drew a picture of a girl who had stolen her boyfriend.  Another friend drew a picture of his little brother.  Sally drew a picture of a former friend, putting a great deal of detail into her drawing, even drawing pimples on the face.  Sally was pleased with the overall effect she had achieved.

The class lined up and began throwing darts.  Some of the students threw their darts with such force that their targets were ripping apart.  Sally looked forward to her turn, and was filled with disappointment when Dr. Smith, because of time limits, asked the students to return to their seats.

As Sally sat thinking about how angry she was because she didn't have a chance to throw any darts at her target.  Dr. Smith began removing the target from the wall.

Underneath the target was a picture of Jesus. A hush fell over the room as each student viewed the mangled picture of Jesus;  holes and jagged marks covered His face and His eyes were pierced.

Dr Smith said only these words..."In as much as ye have done it unto the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto Me."

No other words were necessary;  the tear filled eyes of the students focused only on the picture of Christ."

I have always questioned the truth of email/internet stories, but I often think of the lesson this on teaches.

The other thing that comes to my mind is a conference talk from Elder Jeffrey R. Holland, May 2007 titled The Tongue of Angels.  This talk was given during a time when I was struggling with the words that were coming out of my mouth.  I have read and pondered this talk many times since it was given.  I am still working at controlling my tongue.  Elder Holland cautions us about the words we say to others and also the words and thoughts we say about ourselves.  I highly recommend this article.  His comments serve as a reminder of the impact my words have on others.  He concludes his remarks by saying, "May we all rejoice in the thought that when we say edifying, encouraging things unto the least of these, our brethren and sister and little ones, we say it unto God."

How grateful I am for my calling and the opportunity it gives my to learn and improve.

No comments:

Post a Comment