Friday, July 9, 2010

Mother's Wisdom

I just finished reading In Defense of Food by Michael Pollan. In the book he discusses that in times past our food choices were dictated by culture which he identified as our "mothers". Currently our food choices are dictated by the theories of scientists and the food industry. I am grateful for a mother who taught me about food and nutrition. Some of the foods rules that Mr. Pollan recommended were things my mother taught me many years ago.
One of his Food Rules that I learned from my mother; When you try to economize at the grocery store, it will cost you at the doctors office.
He also suggested that if you want good food you should plant a garden. My mother is the one who introduced me to Swiss Chard. I love my garden. It is extremely satisfying to go to the garden and harvest my dinner!
Swiss Chard and Carrots
Grapes



No comments:

Post a Comment