Sunday, August 8, 2010

Garden Play

We are truly enjoying our garden this year. Every Sunday I visit (check on) a homebound sister in our ward. The first time that I visited she asked me if I made soup. Good Soup? I responded that I did and she promptly asked if I would bring her some the next week. Sunday rolled around and I realized that I had promised to bring soup when I visited my new friend. Randy run out to the garden and pulled up a few carrots. I sauted some onion in butter, added diced carrots, simmered them in chicken stock. When the carrots were tender I pureed them in a blender and added milk. She LOVED the soup! Every Sunday I make another small batch of soup and go visiting. My friend is nearly ninety. She always tells me, "This is the best soup ever, grins, scrapes the bowl clean and licks the spoon clean! Our plum tree produced well this year. This week I made a plum pie. It was so good that I made another today! I also made jam.
A first for our garden this year is potatoes. Randy built a raised bed area and planted the potatoes.
Yesterday Randy dug up a few of the plants. The potatoes underneath were beautiful.
Last night for dinner Randy grilled chicken, summer squash (some from the garden and some from the store) and I made garden fresh buttered potatoes. What a feast!!!!!

3 comments:

  1. WOW, very impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ruth, This looks very good. Thanks for the message on our blog. Our Daughter-in-law is the one who set it up and put most of the blog for us but I have put on a little my self. The big problem is that the internet is so slow here. This is absolutely a 3rd world country. Out water was off most of the day and the electricity goes off and on and has been out for over 4 hours one day. But we will live.

    The work is doing great as you can see on the blog and the members are so new in the gospel. I have been giving a bunch of talks in Sacrament meeting, teaching the basics of the gospel.

    Love,
    Elder and Sister Smith

    ReplyDelete