Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Fun Family Weekend

We had a great weekend filled with wonderful family time.  Saturday Randy and I spent the morning "projecting" around the house.  We took a mid-morning break and attended a baptism.  After lunch it was back to projects.  Randy was washing trucks and I was in the kitchen.  I really don't like working separate these days.  I put aside my project and went outside to help him.  Truck washing quickly became a family activity when Mark and family stopped by for a visit. Grant and Cami quickly joined in.  What fun! 



Grant and Grandpa working together

Cami
Grant imagining that he had the hose.

S'mores in the afternoon. 
 It was to hot for Grandma to want to build a fire, so I brought out the steno can.  We enjoyed toasting marshmallows and Cami enjoyed the chocolate cookies.  (Yes, that's my frost damaged grapefruit tree in the background.  It has started sprouting a bit of new growth on the branches.  Time will tell if we keep it of dig it out) 
Morgan, Ruth, Shelby, Cami and Grant

After trucks and s'mores it was time to head back to the church.  Randy and I attended an Eagle Court of Honor.  We then headed to Marks where Randy helped him remove a transmission from one of his projects.  I played with grand kids :) 

Upon returning home, it was time to complete my kitchen project.  Tamales!  Thanks to Shelby and Morgan it was quick and enjoyable work.  Tasty too.

Sunday was wonderful.  My Primary lesson went well.  I am trying to improve my teaching skills and recognize direction from the Spirit.  The scripture stories for the lesson came from Luke 15.  The lost sheep, lost coin and Prodigal Son. The purpose of the lesson was to help each child have the desire to help those who are less active return to full activity in the Church of Jesus Christ.  During the lesson I felt impress to share that my Dad had chosen to quit attending church when I was about their age.  I was always hesitant to invite him to church activities.  When my oldest daughter Shelby was to be baptized I was so surprised when my Dad came.  I greeted him and expressed my surprise and pleasure that he was there.  His response was, "Of course I came, Shelby invited me".  I told the children that they are often better at sharing the gospel and inviting others to church than adults are.  How grateful I am the the example of children.  How I regretted not extending an invitation to my Dad to attend church with me.  Later that afternoon Randy was telling me about the combined 5th Sunday lesson.  It was about President Monson's counsel to reach out and rescue those that are lost.  The bishop compared saving lost souls to the rescue efforts of saving the trapped miners last year.  I smiled when Randy told this story.  My Primary lesson also had a story of a little boy lost in a cave and the efforts to rescue him.  I'm amazed at the similarity of Primary, Priesthood and Relief Society lessons.  

Sunday afternoon we were able to go to Life Care Center and be home taught.  Our home teacher, Brother Smolen recently had surgery and in currently living at the care center.  He shared the conference message from Elder Lynn G. Robbins, What Manner of Men and Women Ought Ye to Be?
That night Bethany arrived home for a visit. 

Monday, Mark and family came for a visit and dinner.  We played in the yard, went for a walk, made chocolate cake in a mug. (The recipe that Heidi shared.  We added a quarter tsp of baking powder to the original recipe, divided the batter into four custard cups and microwaved the cakes for ONE minute.  Topped the hot cake with a scoop of  ice cream. It's a grandma's dream!)   Randy and Mark made Jalapeno Poppers, grilled Ribs and squash,  baked beans, and cheese potatoes.  In the evening Randy, Bethany, Morgan and I went for a swim at the neighbors.    We missed Alison not being with us, but before going to bed we made hotel reservations and purchased Randy's airline ticket to Utah.  We will be with her soon!  I love my family and the times we can be together. 

1 comment:

  1. I loved this post and then I read the last couple sentences and it became so much better!

    ReplyDelete